Makes eight medium-sized pancakes.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp nonaluminum baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup poppy seed
1 cup milk
2/3 cup water (or equal mixture of orange or lemon juice)
1 tsp finely grated orange or lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries (or fruit of your choice)
1. Add dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
2. Wisk together milk, water (or juice) and zest in a small bowl until combined.
3. Add wet ingredients and blueberries to the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine, using as few strokes as possible. (Batter will be quite liquidy.)
4. Let batter sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
5. Ladle onto frying pan or griddle set to medium heat.
6. Flip when bubbly on top and edges are slightly dry.
(Lovingly modified from the recipe in John Robbins’ May All Be Fed: Diet for a New World.)