A yummy salad with a taste of fall!
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 package fresh arugula (or use a combination greens if you don’t like the strong taste of arugula)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored, sliced quite thin and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup roasted squash, cubed into small bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp organic dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt margarine in small frying pan over low heat.
- Add pecans and brown sugar.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is caramelized.
- Spread out on wax paper to cool.
- Mix the oil & vinegar and add the apple as it is sliced to prevent browning.
- In bowl toss together arugula (or other greens), pecans, cranberries, apple and squash with the dressing and serve immediately.
Note: To make ahead for a special dinner–toss apple with dressing so that it doesn’t turn brown. Layer apple on top of greens, squash, and pecans. Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until needed, tossing just before serving.
If you are not vegan you could add a cheese like feta, or a sharper cheese to contrast the apple & sweet pecans.