These savory muffins are a full of flavour and a great addition to brunch or served alongside soup.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 ear corn, kernels cut off the cob, or 3/4 cup (thawed) frozen corn
- (optional) 1 chili pepper, minced fine or 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and oil a muffin pan.
- Fry the onion and peppers in the olive oil with medium heat until softened.
- When the onion and peppers are nearly finished frying, add in the corn, frying until warmed through. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice with the dry ingredients and then add in the cooked veggies. Do not overmix.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly with the batter and bake for 20 min or until browned and an inserted toothpick/sharp knife comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes to firm up, then remove from pan to cool.
- For a different flavor, try adding one of the following: Mexican/taco seasoning, feta cheese, fresh basil or whatever you think might make a yummy addition.