2 lb firm tofu (900 g)
1 cup dried shitake mushrooms or 2 cups fresh shitake or oyster mushrooms
1 1/4 cups water
2 tsp dried oregano
4 cloves garlic – pressed
1 ¼ cups olive oil
1 cup red wine vinegar (I use balsamic if necessary)
1 ¼ cups red wine
1 ¼ cups soy sauce
- Use a saucepan that will hold all ingredients except the tofu and simmer the mushrooms in the water. If using fresh mushrooms then use very little water to cook them slightly.
- Toast the oregano in a small dry pan. Do not use any oil. It will be toasted when you can smell it but don’t burn it.
- Add the oregano and all other ingredients except the tofu to the mushrooms and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While the marinade is boiling: cut the tofu into small rectangles or cubes and arrange in a deep casserole dish. Avoid layering the tofu so that when the marinade is poured on it can reach all the pieces of tofu.
- Pour the boiling marinade over the tofu and jiggle it around so that the marinade gets in between the pieces. Cover and let this stand for several hours or overnight. Do not refrigerate because the oil may congeal.
- Serve the tofu and mushrooms and set the marinade aside for future use – it also makes a great salad dressing.
1 pkg. ladyfinger biscuits
3/4 c. freshly brewed coffee, cooled
3 tbsp. sugar
Mix coffee and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
Vegan Mascarpone Filling
1 3/4 c. raw cashews (no need to soak)
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/3 c. coconut oil, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. non-dairy milk
In a blender, combine cashews, maple syrup, coconut oil, salt, vanilla and milk. Blend thoroughly until smooth and silky.
Divide mixture in half into two small bowls.
Vanilla Cream & Coffee Cream
1/4 c. non-dairy milk
1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/3 c. freshly brewed coffee, cooled
Vanilla Cream Filling
Use first half of mixture, thoroughly whisking in extra 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Set aside.
Coffee Cream Filling
Blend second half of the vegan mascarpone mixture with coffee.
- Dip ladyfingers in soaking syrup for just a second or two and place into the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with a layer of Vanilla Cream and dust with cocoa. At this point, freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once out of the freezer, top with a layer of Coffee Cream. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Repeat process once more – soaked biscuits, Vanilla Cream and Coffee Cream – freezing cream layers for 10 minutes before continuing.
- Once complete, dust the tops with cocoa powder and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours to firm up before eating.