Makes twelve 4-inch pancakes.
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 tsp nonaluminum baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp fine sea salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Mix together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Wisk together milk and water in a small bowl until combined.
3. Add wet ingredients and blueberries to the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine, using as few strokes as possible. (Batter will be quite liquidy.)
4. Let batter sit for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken.
5. Ladle onto frying pan or griddle set to medium heat. Flip when bubbly on top and edges are slightly dry.
(Lovingly modified from the recipe in John Robbins’ May All Be Fed: Diet for a New World.)