Vegan with no added fat.
1 1/8 cup flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
1 ½ cup sugar
⅓ cup cocoa
3 tbsp. ground flax seeds (heaping) added to ¾ cup water (egg substitute)
⅓ – ½ cup apple sauce OR mashed raspberries (oil substitute)
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups chocolate chips
¾ cup chopped walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds or your choice of nut
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease 9-inch, square baking pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Mix ground flaxseeds with water in a small cup and let stand for 5 min until it is slimy (raw egg consistency).
- Add apple sauce, vanilla and flaxseed/water mixture.
- Pour mixture into large bowl and mix until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes.
(Look for dryness of top of brownies and if slightly pulling away from sides of dish after 30 min. If not, leave for a few minutes more.)
- Amount of sugar can be adjusted to taste.
- More applesauce can be added as needed to add moisture to recipe . Batter should be thick and wet, but not runny.
- Try adding dried cranberries for a different flavour.
- Recipe can easily be doubled… usually the preferred size once you taste them!
- Try recipe in spring form pan and sprinkle top with icing sugar before serving.
From the hands and heart of Kurt Frost in the kitchen at Sugar Ridge Retreat Centre.