Sugar Ridge exists to provide a space for you to be nourished in body, mind and soul.
We envision a welcoming environment where everyone is free to be themselves, and has the experience they need.
- We believe our responsibility to guests goes beyond delivering a good retreat experience, and includes their personal wellness
- We believe our responsibility to our staff extends beyond living wages and opportunities to grow.
- We cultivate a welcoming environment so that guests and staff feel supported when they are at Sugar Ridge
- We consider the earth with all the actions we take, and products we use
- We welcome guests irrespective of religion, race, gender, and sexual orientation
- We treat our employees like family and know everyone will pitch in where needed
- We do the right thing, even when no one is watching
To promote personal health on all levels, which in turn fosters community health.
To make the world a healthier place, we must first heal ourselves, one aspect at a time.
Sugar Ridge is a place to get started on that path, or deepen your journey.
This centre has been created out of love and compassion for all creatures who visit this sacred space.
Sugar Ridge is located on the not so ancient stomping grounds of the Wendat people of Huronia.
The name Sugar Ridge is derived from our beautiful maple forest which provides us with ample maple syrup in the spring. We are located on a large ridge overlooking the Wye Marsh and Georgian Bay.
We often forget that we are nature. Nature is not something separate from us. So when we say that we have lost our connection to nature, we’ve lost our connection to ourselves. A.Goldsworthy
At Sugar Ridge, we’ve created the space to get back in touch.
Sugar Ridge started as a dream of Liz Frost about 20 years ago. After having a wonderful experience at a retreat centre, in the middle of January, with a remote forest cabin, Liz wanted to share the experience with others. After two years of searching for the right property she found Sugar Ridge in 2005. Building the retreat centre has been an uphill battle. The project was meant to be because for every roadblock a solution followed close behind. Everything has fallen into place to make the dream a reality.
The intention for the centre is to grow is our dream that one day we will be able to offer low cost or free programs to groups who really need to experience the peacefulness here. One day it will become a charity. In 2022, we’re expanding with creating a new second studio space and developing permaculture plans. Here we Grow!
Sugar Ridge is small enough to be managed by the owner, which provides a unique service to guests. Chances are you will meet Liz during your stay.