Gluten Free & Vegan
This is a popular breakfast cereal that we serve each weekend here at Sugar Ridge. It is too good to be kept to ourselves, so here is the recipe for you to try it at home!
It is an easy recipe to make and is packed with lots of protein and whole grains. Once you get the basics of it down, you can vary it with your own favourite grains, milks, fruit, nuts/seeds, spices…..many options!
½ cup millet
½ cup amaranth
2 cups water
1 cup almond milk
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup cranberries & raisins
½ cup chopped almonds (or any nut/seed of your choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cardamom
- Put the millet and amaranth in a medium pot with the water, bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 15 – 20 min with a lid on.
- When the cereal starts to become dry and before all the water is absorbed, stir in the almond milk and maple syrup. Stir and continue to simmer.
- Stir fruit, nuts/seeds and spices and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cereal is cooked and reached desired consistency.
- Cereal is good on its own, but additional milk or sweetener can be added in the bowl to make it just the way you like it!
- Cooking time can be decreased if the grains are soaked in the water overnight.
- Can be made with pretty much any grain or combo of grains you prefer. We have tried oats and also quinoa with good success. Rice is another yummy option.
- This is a great recipe for using up left over, cooked grains from a previous meal. To do this, use 3 cups cooked grains with 1 cup milk and cook it for only about 10 min.